Here’s another tool for a more peaceful life – I hope you find it helpful on your journey.
Maybe finding your life purpose is easy if you have special gifts like Picasso or Einstein. On the other hand, if you’re way past 21 and still asking yourself what you want to be when you grow up, the process starts to seem less clear. You may even wonder if you have a purpose at all.
Let me assure you – yes, you do have a purpose! Even if it takes some effort, “what is my purpose” is still a question worth answering. Once you know what it is, you will be able to move in that direction. Life will become more interesting. Challenges will still be there, but they will be worth working through. Life will be busier, maybe even more hectic – but in the long run, you will have a more satisfying and peaceful life.
Once you find that purpose, begin to base everything you do on living out the life you were created to live. If your current occupation doesn’t align, find another one. Numerous studies suggest that finding work that aligns with your purpose is more motivating and satisfying than any pay increase.
If you’re still searching, no matter what your age, it’s time to discover your purpose. Follow the tips below to help you find and fulfill your purpose.
Finding Your Life Purpose:
- Take time to calm your mind. Ease yourself into a creative state of mind. Meditate or take a long walk through the park. Soak in a warm bath or read poetry. Your thoughts become more expansive when you take a step back from daily concerns.
- Make a list of your passions. Ask yourself what you value. What makes you excited about getting out of bed in the morning?
- Make a list that identifies your strengths. Focus on what you do well. Think about the things that draw compliments from others..What do people ask you to help them with? Ask yourself what tasks do you enjoy that come easily to you.
- Analyze flow. Recognize the activities that create a flow experience for you – you, know – those “in the zone” activities. When do you lose track of time and find that your work becomes effortless?
- Focus on service. Your purpose takes on more meaning when you look beyond yourself and think about how you can have a positive impact on others. Try to find an underserved need that you can help fill. Is there a cause that tugs at your heart strings?
- Do research. When you find things that interest you, learn about them. The internet makes it easy to learn more about any topic related to your purpose. Look up information on topics related to your interests or ask questions in the search bar.
- Talk with others. Learn from others who are already working in the fields that you find interesting. Attend networking events. When you’re at parties, ask other guests what they do and follow up with relevant questions. Remember to listen more than you talk – you’re on a fact finding mission.
- Keep a journal. Writing about your search can help you organize your thoughts. Every day take a few minutes (or more) and write about what you did yesterday. Focus in on the things you did while pursuing your purpose. Over time, you may spot patterns that will guide you in moving forward.
Fulfilling Your Life Purpose:
- Be flexible. Stay open to change. You may be surprised by some of your discoveries. You may even find that you have more than one purpose. That’s okay. It is important to keep an open mind.
- Make no assumptions. If you’re hesitant to act on your ambitions, you may have self-limiting beliefs that are holding you back. Remember your past accomplishments and focus on what you have to gain.
- Make realistic plans. It’s okay to aim high, but you want your targets to be feasible. Not everyone who loves opera can sing soprano, but there are plenty of other roles in the same industry, from costume design to fundraising.
- Set a daily intention. Keep your purpose fresh in your mind. Figure out something you can do each day to bring you closer to your goals. Consistent effort builds momentum, and small victories add up.
- Evaluate your progress regularly. Assess your development on a regular basis, so you can devote your efforts to activities with the highest return on your investment. Avoid distractions and make adjustments as needed.
- Find balance. Give equal attention to contemplating your purpose and taking action. Otherwise, you can wind up overlooking your top priorities or missing opportunities.
- Seek support. Pursuing your purpose is rewarding and challenging. It helps to have partners on your side. Ask your friends and family for the assistance you need. Team up with others who share your vision. It’s important to spend time around those who have already found their purpose and are on the way to carrying it out.
Being driven by purpose will make you happier and more successful. Examine your experiences and discover how to share your unique gifts. You are here for a reason. The world needs you.
Find your purpose – find your joy!
Would you like copy of Improve Your Mindset? Just click on the link – it’s my gift to you.
Did you find a few more ideas of your own? If so, I’d love to hear about them in the comments, and as always please reach out with your thoughts.