If you are looking to truly have a peaceful life, give yourself the gift of forgiveness. Really – it’s key.
We all react when we feel someone has wronged us. In fact, forgiveness may be the last thing on our minds. We may even be plotting how to get back at them for what they’ve done, or imagine letting karma handle it in a totally horrible way. However, forgiveness is a gift you give to yourself. Think about what holding on to that anger is doing to you. Does it really help you in any way? Plus the other person may be totally oblivious that you are even bothered. You really need to let it go.
Holding a grudge is like punching yourself in the face and expecting the other person to say, “Ouch.”
Forgiveness is the healthy and logical choice
- Living in the past steals your present and affects your future. For success in the future, you need to be present today. That’s not possible if you’re living in the past. Life is happening right now in this moment. Every moment spent in the past is lost forever. Reclaim your life by forgiving and moving on.
- Failing to forgive creates misery. Creating and maintaining negative thoughts doesn’t feel good. Positive thoughts support a positive mindset. By refusing to forgive the person that wronged you, you’re actually harming yourself.
- You’ll be stronger. Forgiveness can be challenging! Staying angry is easy in a certain way. After all, you can nurture the hurt and share with others so they know how badly you’ve been wronged. Who doesn’t love a good pity partner? Instead, show yourself just how strong you are. Take a deep breath and forgive. It becomes easier with time.
- The past cannot be changed, but your attitude can. What is the purpose of your anger? What good can come of it? If you stay angry for the next ten years, what have you accomplished? Nothing you do today can change what happened yesterday. Change your attitude as quickly as possible and smile because you know you are moving on.
- They’ll be back sooner or later. Whether you forgive the person who wronged you, or not, they’re sure to come back into your life at some point in the future. In most cases, they’ll not even have a clue how you feel, but, your resentment will make you feel bad all over again if you’re still holding a grudge. The sooner you forgive, the sooner you can put the matter to bed.
- All humans make mistakes. We’ve all done or said things we later regret. Living a perfect life and making perfect choices isn’t possible. Realize we are human, give us all some grace, and understand as best you can. Mistakes happen – extend forgiveness when the mistakes hurt you.
- Forgiveness is a requirement. In order for your to be forgiven, you must learn to forgive. We are forgiven according to the way we forgive others. If our hearts are hard and we hold on to the hurt, others will do the same. Remember, we attract the same energy we put out in the world.
- Your health will improve Happiness and peacefulness undoubtedly support good health and longevity. Live a long and wonderful life. Be forgiving. The Mayo Clinic states that forgiveness can lead to healthier relationships, lower blood pressure, a stronger immune system, improved heart health, and higher self-esteem. Why would you want to hold on to something if you can have all these benefits instead?
- Forgiveness is fast. Time may heal all wounds, and it can take a long time to not feel the negative affects. When you choose to forgive, the forgiveness itself is instantaneous. There’s no faster way to enhance your mood than the simple act of forgiveness. Forgiveness is fast, effective, and free.
Forgiveness helps you more
Forgiveness is self-serving. It’s something you need to do for yourself, because the alternative is harmful to your health, happiness, and future. Be good to yourself. Don’t be concerned whether or not the other person feels remorse, responsibility, or anything else. You are only responsible for yourself, not the other person. Forgiveness is necessary.
Mahatma Gandhi said, “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong.” Forgiveness requires real strength. The fastest way to heal any transgression against you is forgiveness. Remember that forgiveness doesn’t always mean that you are going to go back to the way things were before. It means that you’re not willing to hold on to the hurt, anger or negativity. You are making the conscious choice not to suffer any longer.
Find your purpose – find your joy!
Would you like copy of Improve Your Mindset? Just click on the link – it’s my gift to you.
Did you find a few more ideas of your own? If so, I’d love to hear about them in the comments, and as always please reach out with your thoughts.